Wednesday 1 July 2009

Acknowledging the Spiritual needs of the client

Thank you Wyn for inviting me to share something about my recovery while you are away on a well deserved holiday! It is a privilege to do so and I write in the hope that something I might say will help someone who is desperately trying to stop drinking/using - or is on their recovery journey.

You spoke yesterday Wyn, about 'spiritual development' and 'co-operation with God' which fits nicely with what I would like to share with everyone who reads this blog today.

Yesterday I attended the APSCC (The Association for Pastoral and Spiritual Care and Counselling) Annual Conference at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester. The Association is a Division of the BACP - British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.

A wonderful setting for the Conference and a truly inspirational day!

"Acknowledging the spiritual client: an ethical essential?" was the question being debated.

The day began with thirty minutes of silent reflection, for those who wished to participate. It was a moving and powerful experience to be part of that large group of people - a chance to focus and reflect in the silence and to calm the inner self in preparation for the day.

Today there is an increasing awareness of the importance of acknowledging a person's spiritual needs in the helping process of counselling and in the area of mental health.

There was much debate in the workshops about spirituality - how delegates defined spirituality and what it meant to them and how it related to their counselling work.

During the course of the day the 12Steps and the Serenity Prayer were part of a presentation and I was reminded of the important part they played in releasing me from the black place of powerlessness my existence was during my drinking days - a lonely, unhappy, painful and desperate place - into the light of recovery. Yes, as I sat in the lecture room yesterday participating in the presentation I must admit I did become a little tearful - but the tears were coming from a place of deep gratitude for the process which allowed me to change as a person and to have the wonderful life that I live today - and have been living for many years now - a process which has allowed me to become happy, joyous and free!

I reflected on the day as I drove home - it had been so good to be with others who acknowledge the importance of spirituality and to be made more aware of the work that is being done in this area. The Conference continues today. Thank you APSCC for a wonderful day.

I look forward to sharing my recovery journey with you over the next few days and I hope you feel you can respond by sharing your own recovery journey - through sharing we can all help each other in our desire to achieve and grow in a wonderful new life!

Love and prayers from Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment