Friday 17 July 2009

My definition of personal recovery from drug and alcohol dependence

There's been a lot written recently about the definition of personal recovery. Prof David Clark offers Mike Slade's definition from his book “Personal Recovery and Mental Illness” saying that 'This definition could be used for recovery from addiction with little, or any change [other than replacing ‘mental illness’ with ‘serious substance use problem’.

This is how Mike defines personal recovery: “a deeply personal, unique process of changing one’s attitudes, values, feelings, goals, skills, and/or roles. It is a way of living a satisfying, hopeful, and contributing life even within the limitations caused by illness. Recovery involves the development of new meaning and purpose in one’s life as one grows beyond the catastrophic effects of mental illness.”

As I approach, through God's grace, another sobriety birthday in my ongoing recovery from chronic drug and alcohol dependence, personal recovery for me means being vulnerable - and that means risking and showing people who I am. In other words it's about having the courage to be me - the authentic me.

No comments:

Post a Comment