Thursday 11 March 2010

I've had a shitty day today - and that's OK

I’ve had a shitty day today. Then I remembered to take my friend’s advice! I have to learn to take the rough with the smooth; the tears with the laughter; the richness with the poverty. That’s what being sober is about.
A friend of mine once took a coin from his pocket and showed me the “heads” and the “tails”.
“Were you like me as a child?” he asked, “always wanting the coin to land on “heads” and being disappointed if instead it landed on “tails”?
“Too right I was” said I. “I used to get really annoyed when that used to happen to me.”
“Well, look”, he said. “If I want to own this coin and put it in my pocket then I have to take the “heads” with the “tails. I can’t own it unless I do that.” And he pocketed the coin, adding “The same is true about life. If you want to own your life you’ll have to learn to take the bitter with the sweet, the bad with the good; the “heads” with the “tails.”
“How do you manage to do that?” I asked
“By asking for nothing” he said “expecting nothing; and accepting everything that comes my way!”
And that’s how I live my life today as well - accepting life on life’s terms; not as I want it to be but as it really is. Today was a shitty day. And that’s OK by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment