Saturday 19 May 2012

A spiritual dilemma?

Today I was asked my opinion on charities partnering with the alcohol industry, whether through sponsorships, partnerships or accepting funding. Here’s my reply: “It's the Lottery dilemma magnified. Can't using drinks industry money be justified, however, as a means to an end? I think we should take the money from the government and the drinks industry if it helps people recover. We wish to continue and develop our relationship with the drinks industry and the government in promoting responsible drinking. However, there are people in our communities, like those with a nut allergy, who cannot take alcohol in any form. We should welcome what support we can get from whatever source in dealing with this chronic condition and offering first class, on-going support and after-care. However, our goal is to be properly funded. And it goes without saying that we should always operate within the law. What would the Master have done? From my knowledge of Him, he'd have put saving lives as a priority and broken the "rules". He’s my role-model.”

No comments:

Post a Comment